You can encourage families in your congregation to prevent, or lessen the effects of, disasters or accidents. Here are some things that families should do.
- Learn how to prepare for potential disasters in your area.
- Create and practice a family disaster plan.
- Write down emergency phone numbers and personal support network information, and put them where they are readily available.
- Know special needs of, and communicate with, family members and neighbors.
- Store adequate supplies, such as an emergency kit.
- Know how and where to shut off utilities.
- Create a home exit plan and evacuation box.
- Retrofit homes and plan new construction with disaster mitigation in mind.